Monday, April 26, 2010

Do You Have Children?

Men never ask me this question but mothers always do. If I hesitate and answer that I have two children, she may imagine they’re dead. So I hasten to add that we are only estranged. Have been estranged for years. This leads down a path I do not want to tread, at least not with someone I’ve just met.

You, however, I know you. I can tell you a little more of the story. But I must begin with the Great Disclaimer: I was a Monster. Yes, it’s no wonder they got rid of me. Although I didn’t beat them, didn’t chain them up—quite the contrary, I let them go where they wanted. They visited their father, my mother and their friends whenever they liked. I packed them up and spent the holidays alone.


Or with a boyfriend. Single for eighteen years I confess I did have lovers and yes, sometimes they stayed overnight but not in the same room, not until the boy was home from boarding school at fifteen. Even then I was discreet about the bedtime romps.

I was lonely. I like company. I like men and yes, sex. Of course I want to say, my only sin. Now that I’m digging into it, I see there is an underlying, original sin.

I never wanted to be a mother. I never babysat, never played with dolls or imagined what kind of a mother I would be. Never had a crush on a girl, either, although that may be irrelevant. Babies were just outside the picture. The first baby was an accident.

I married Mr. Executive to escape my mother, a woman obsessed with my virginity. She’d have locked me up in a chastity belt if there were such things. The pill came along ten years too late for me.

Frying pan into fire. Without birth control, illegal in Connecticut in 1960 even for married folk, I was two weeks along when I married and a mother a month after my twentieth birthday. The second child was meant to save my marriage.

As my husband prepared to move out I screwed up my courage and asked if he would take the children. I was just twenty-six, still young enough to finish college and start a career.

“You’re a good father,” I said. He had a great job and the kids adored him. “You take them. I’ll have visiting privileges.”

“I can’t,” he said. “I have a job. I can’t be a full-time parent.”

"You can hire a nanny and a housekeeper. Stay in this house, keep the kids in school. I’ll be around."

“And,” I confessed, “I don’t think I’m a very good mother.”

4 comments:

Shirley Landis VanScoyk said...

Courageous. Honest. I hear you. I am pretty sure I was a terrible mother (not awful, just clueless and distracted by difficult husband) and the subject has come up once or twice with my son. And I wanted to be a mother. I don't know whether it is possible to be a good mother. Pat Pat. And by the way, this is writing. Because you are writing about what you know, and it's hard.

Reed Stevens said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I've waited years to get this off my chest. There's more to the story, as you will see.

bowiechick said...

I am 42 and have no children of my own. I always felt that it was a rather pedestrian construct to think that I would be any "better or more loving" of a mother over a soul who just happened to come from my loins. I have been quite happy to love my two step kids and never have I felt any kind of loss over having none of my own. I know they are as enriched by me as I am by them.

That isn't to say that the "the barren womb" hasn't been a contentious issue with my sometimes on and off again ex-boyfriend/husband. Adopted himself with abandonment issues and now a part-time-weekend-father, he feels so irrelevant to his teenage son and daughter (17 and 14 come June.) It would have been nice to know five years ago that this was such a pressing issue, vs. being a den mother to a bunch of adult social misfits since I am now of a certain age. And while in this day and age most women who are having children are actually my age, the fact remains is there is no...pang. In fact I am pretty sure I would recognize the baby pang should it slap me in the face. I have always felt since I was really young I was sitting this round out.

I have often wondered if maybe I was probably like my paternal great grandmother who at 42, was heading to Regina, Saskatchewan to get a 12" goiter removed from her neck and was pregnant with her 15th child. Her husband taken off yet again to "TeePees-creep" somewhere not with his family. She didn't make it through goiter surgery and my grandfather was raised by his sisters and for years thought his sister was his mother.

It's like Shirley's chicken story "the Good enough mothers." It takes a GREAT mother to acknowledge that maybe you aren't. I also have friends though who love their children, kinda wish they never did it. Just because we have the plumbing doesn't mean it "works." Bravo for having the chops to say so. Hey, maybe you are fine, just the way you are.

I am content in my role as being the devoted and evil stepmother. I figure if they keep eating my cooking that really, I am doing just fine.

Reed Stevens said...

Boy, No Kids By Choice is a hot topic today. Elena Kragen, Obama's Supreme Court nominee, is accused of being a lezzie because she has no kids. Lots of lezzies such a Liz Cheney, hello right wingers? have kids.

Some of us had different dreams. I would have preferred a later maternity. I would have preferred a choice. I would have preferred running my own god damn life.