Friday, June 11, 2010

Highjacking a Rodeo Princess

Dear Readers: I am highjacking a paragraph from Shirley's wonderful meditation just in case you might skip over it. After I walk the dog this morning, I shall return to see if any of you have found it as delightful as I have.

Our farm has a completely amazing population of lightning bugs. Down at the bottom of the pasture, at dusk, they rise out of the ground, swirling, twirling glimmering dots of palest yellow, neon green and blue white, the exact opposite of the blanket of dark. I like to watch as they blink, then disappear, to reappear several feet away. To catch them, you have to guess what direction they go, or be fast enough to snatch them with your hand while they are lit. I think I used to be good at this, because I remember filling mason jars with grass and a twig and then using it as a temporary home for dozens of bugs. As long as I left the lid on the jar, I was allowed to have the jar in my room on my nightstand. I would fall asleep to the glowing semaphore they sent. I hope they found love, if briefly, inside the jar..


The Domestic Episodes of a Rodeo Princess: The Light

1 comment:

Shirley Landis VanScoyk said...

That Rodeo Princess is quite a descriptor!!!

Thank you, Reed. You need to come home here and chase some 'bugs.